[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 25 12:07:43 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:06, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/25/2012 03:02 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Ah.   Is any sort of encryption done for cluster-over-IP?

Oh heck no.   That sort of overhead's resultant latency would destroy
the performance of a cluster on all but the very fastest of machines.

Ah, right, I'm forgetting that clustering sends a lot of data.

Further, most VMS clusters are built with machines in the same
datacenter.   It's not generally a wide-area thing.

Mmmm, true. Clustering is generally used for practical purposes and not my crazy experiments.