[HECnet] Getting a virtual cluster connected

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 25 12:05:55 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012, at 15:03, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/25/2012 02:56 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
Will it be a problem that all of these systems are DECnet-OSI?

Clustering does not depend on DECnet or TCP/IP!

Really?   I thought clustering over ethernet used DECnet.

Nope...SCS, which is Systems Communications Services if memory serves.
(is that right, Brian?)   Completely unrelated to DECnet.

Brian (Hechinger) and I once discussed the possibility of implementing
a similar clustering system within NetBSD.   I think just implementing
the SCS protocol itself would be a good start.   I wonder if there's
enough documentation out there to do it.

What'd be really interesting is joining that to a VMS cluster. ;)