[HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Dec 23 18:37:51 PST 2012

On 23 Dec 2012, at 21:33, "Steve Davidson" <jeep at scshome.net> wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Cory Smelosky
Sent: Sunday, December 23, 2012 21:25
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Cc: Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-
Subject: Re: [HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

On 2012-12-24 03:05, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:
Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

I might have the wrong tape.

Is there some specific reason for V4.6?

Get a news VMS version -- I can make V6.something or V7.something
available for you -- and then, restore the .B save set to
your boot
device.   Then, you boot from the system disk to continue
the install.
Back then, VMS was dis- tributed on tape.   I've no idea how you
access that from SimH.   During the boot, VMS will prompt
you to enter
where the distribution media is mounted and then, it will
just do the
rest -- just answer to the questions as they arise.

If I can find the time, I'll get to my storage unit and
pull the V4
(orange
wall) tomes with the installation notes for 11/780 just in case.

As I remember the procedure, it's kindof tricky to see how
you'd do it in simh.
On a real 11/780, you'd boot the standalone backup first.
Not sure, but I think that would have been a bunch of RX01 floppies.
One the standalone backup is running, you can restore the
distribution tape .B saveset to the destination disk, and
after that, things starts getting easier.

However, as simh don't have the FE, nor RX01, how do you
get the standalone backup running?
I wonder if you could use the standalone backup from a
newer VMS to install a really old version. Recent CD
distributions boot the standalone backup, and I suspect you
would able to boot simh into that.

I'm booting VMS 7.3 and running backup from there to image it
to another disk. Does it NEED to be standalone backup?

Not sure what Cory's real problem is though, as he claims
he now restores the .B saveset and still don't get a bootable
system. Did the backup restore the saveset without complaints?
What is the name of the saveset you are restoring, Cory?
Have you atleast read through the installation manual for a
recent VMS? I think the basic procedure is unchanged.

It copies the backup set without issue.   Am I perhaps
attaching it to the wrong tape device? (tq)

	Johnny

It can be standalone or not.   Try:

$backup/image/verify <version-saveset>.b/save <device>:

THAT worked.

Shutdown and boot the <device>.   You will need the rest of the VMS
savesets (.C, .D, etc) during the installation process.

Booted!

-Steve