[HECnet] Older VAXVMS Install kits?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Dec 23 17:45:45 PST 2012

On 23 Dec 2012, at 20:44, "Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman-" <system at TMESIS.COM> wrote:

Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> writes:

Directory DUA1:[000000]

000000.DIR;1               BACKUP.SYS;1               BADBLK.SYS;1               BADLOG.SYS;1
=           =20 BITMAP.SYS;1               CONTIN.SYS;1               CORIMG.SYS;1
INDEXF.SYS;1 =           =20 SECURITY.SYS;1           SYSMGR.DIR;1
VOLSET.SYS;1             =20

Total of 11 files. --- snip ---

What's in SYSMGR?   You need VMB.EXE, it must be contiguous and it must
be referenced by LBN in the system disk's boot block (see WRITEBOOT).

That would explain it.

And then:

sim> b rq1 Loading boot code from vmb.exe %BOOT-F-Unable to locate BOOT
fil HALT instruction, PC: 000004C7 (BLBS 549,4C6)

Granted, it's been a long long time since I booted an 11/780 but you should
be able to use the normal boot file on the floppy of the LSI-11 console.   I
am puzzled with your boot command.

It's SIMH. Ooops. Didn't realise I wasn't clear that it was virtual.

--
VAXman- A Bored Certified VMS Kernel Mode Hacker       VAXman(at)TMESIS(dot)ORG