Cisco DECnet info, was Re: [HECnet] HECnet mapping project

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Tue Dec 25 17:40:59 PST 2012

On 25 Dec 2012, at 20:38, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:

On 12/25/2012 06:14 PM, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Found the problem, STUPI isn't listing you as a known circuit:

I think the actual connection is between their Cisco routers.   STUPI has
nothing to do with it and doesn't know about it.

Bob's right; these are GRE tunnels (Peter is a hard-core Cisco guru),
both to Peter and to Brian H.   (who is quite sharp with Cisco stuff as
well!)

So how can we do this...I don't think IOS implements NICE, but I'm
sure its DECnet routing table can be pulled out via SNMP.   Brian
(Hechinger), I can set up a read-only SNMP community and your poller
(when it discovers an appropriate router) can walk the tree, maybe?   And
either Sampsa's code can parse that output, or you can reformat it into
a consistent format to hand to Sampsa?   What do you think?   (snmpwalk is
your friend!)

Oooooh. SNMP's an idea!

Cory Smelosky
http://gewt.net/ Personal stuff!