[HECnet] SIMH PDP-10 + Networking?

Cory Smelosky b4 at gewt.net
Sun Dec 23 10:06:15 PST 2012

On 23 Dec 2012, at 12:37, Cory Smelosky <b4 at gewt.net> wrote:

On 23 Dec 2012, at 05:29, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons <jg at jordi.guillaumes.name> wrote:

Al 22/12/12 18:23, En/na Cory Smelosky ha escrit:
Is it at all possible to do networking in SIMH's PDP-10 emulator?
No. SIMH emulates a KS10, and IIRC there was no DPNI support for that machine (there was another network interface which worked for ITS, but not for TOPS-10, and anyway it is not emulated in SIMH).

I wonder if simh will ever add support for emulating a KL10.

Turns out I need to reinstall TOPS-10. ;)

So I either need to:
1). Stage TOPS-10 in SIMH then move to KLH10's KS emulator (seems to uses different disk format)
2). Install TOPS-10 directly in klh10 (How would I change tapes during runtime using KLH10?)
3). Not have networking. ;)
There is a built KL TOPS-10 image with network support at http://klh10.trailing-edge.com/twonky-a11120.tar. Its not so fun as building it yourself, but it works. Of course you can do it yourself. And to swich tapes you go to KLH10>> prompt (the default key is CTRL-\) and issue a "devmount mta0 tape_image_file.tap and then a continue command, very similar to simh.

BTW you will need to do a MONGEN to set your DECNET address :).

Doing a MONGEN is proving a little challenging. However! I've learned my way around a bit more to the point I can extract the monitor sources.   I just kept hitting a little roadblock due to not having SETSRC. :)

I /think/ i can work around that by extracting the sources to DSKA and then using PATH (what's the appropriate way to use PATH? the monitor generation documentation only mentions SETSRC)

PATH is self-explanatory, never mind. ;)

However: i'm hitting some issues:

?MCRCFU CANNOT FIND UNIVERSAL MACSYM

and

? Wrong version of MONGEN was used in SYS dialog
MACRO:	COMDEV

?MCRCFU CANNOT FIND UNIVERSAL D36PAR

How can I have the wrong version of MONGEN?...

Is configuring networking in KLH10's KS emulation the same as using it's KL emulation? devdef nib et cetera?

AFAIK the syntax of the config file varies a little bit since the KS has a different addressing method.