DECnet/DOS, was Re: [HECnet] DECnet and Windows NT?

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 20 19:45:54 PST 2012

On Thu, Dec 20, 2012 at 10:42 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 12/20/2012 10:33 PM, Cory Smelosky wrote:
I've got PATHWORKS running on NT 4.0.

You can basically CTERM out to other boxes and download files using a horrendous GUI to FAL.

But it works nicely, does LAT too.

Sampsa

Fun! Where would I get it? ;)

  While you're at it, DECnet/DOS was really nice for the time.   I
believe (but am not certain, can anyone clarify?) that it is what grew
into Pathworks.

  DEC made an 8-bit ISA Ethernet card, that also (inexplicably) had a
port on it for one of the DEC "puck" mice.

  DECnet/DOS supported file transfers and CTERM, and I think LAT but I
may be misremembering that part.   I seem to recall it having worked
pretty well.   At the time, I was using it on my home network, which
consisted of a MicroVAX-II, a VAXstation-2000, and a 16MHz 80286-based
DOS machine, the latter of which was state of the art at the time.

  Does anyone have a copy of DECnet/DOS?   I no longer do, at least not
that I can find.

Hello!
If this card is the one who had strange ears and also worked in of all
things an IBM PC/AT model 5160, then I believe I have it on floppy.
Now this presupposes that I can find the blasted thing, and can
convince the only machine I have who can read the blasted things, to
allow me to stuff the binary blobs into a zip file then yes I can do
that.

This does not explain why there are four yetis outside your place
drinking cheap booze and eating cheaper food.

-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com