[HECnet] Area router question

Ian McLaughlin ian at platinum.net
Thu Dec 20 09:00:50 PST 2012

Hello all,

Question about area routers.   I'm going to spend some time over the holiday break bringing some of my machines back online (I'm area 42).       My current area router is making some very unsettling hard drive noises, so I'm thinking of retiring it.   I recall reading somewhere that VMS Alpha is unable to be an area router - is that correct?   I have a DS10L that will probably be my always-on machine.

I also have a Cisco 7206VXR router that can do DECnet.   If I use a Cisco for my connectivity, do I need an area router, or does the Cisco fulfill this purpose?

Thanks in advance!

Ian