[HECnet] 2.11BSD

Tue Dec 18 10:12:06 PST 2012

On Dec 18, 2012, at 1:05 PM, Clem Cole wrote:

Paul.   given the time (late 1960's/early 70's) the prevailing page sizes were 64   / 128 / 256 / 512 bytes which just happen to map to the sizes of blocks used in disk controllers.   1/4/8 k pages were a few years in the future.

512 bytes, sure.   I'm wondering about other sector sizes.   RC11 had 64 byte sectors, RF11 2 byte "sectors".   I don't remember any other sector sizes on DEC gear.   CDC 6000 series had 322 12-bit word sectors.   IBM 360 series used whatever sector size you wanted, varying from sector to sector if you were so inclined.

The PDP11 MMU is an odd beast -- physical start on 64 byte granularity, page size variable between 64 bytes and 8192 bytes, but virtual base addresses only multiples of 8192 bytes.

	paul