[HECnet] 2.11BSD

Clem Cole clemc at ccc.com
Mon Dec 17 15:27:21 PST 2012

no.   as one of it authors and very much "there" I think I can say that definitely.     2.10/11 was successful project to "port" most of the 4.1/4.2 functionality to the 16/17 bit address impaired 11 family.     it uses thunks to swap instruction and data space at user   level - cool project Keith did a great job on it.

But when the new generation of micro processors appeared people tended to start with 4.1 or 4.2 if they wanted a BSD flavor and used PWB 3.0 (aka System 3) or later the System V family -   (they did not need to be limited by the 16 bit issues of the 11)

as for xenix (which was originally a microsoft product btw) was a port of version 7 originally for 186 and the 68000.   This was done 2-5 years before   Kieth starts the 2.8/9/10 stuff.   btw   after we got Al Arms to rewrite V7 commercial license to create what would become the System 3.0 license and microsoft sold xenix to SCO and they dropped support for anything but the PC/AT (who's processor was the 286)

Clem Cole