[HECnet] digest mode

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Tue Dec 18 10:58:50 PST 2012

On 18 Dec 2012, at 12:57, Brian Schenkenberger, VAXman- wrote:

WRT DECtek

It's spelled with a 'c' not a 'k' ;)

aren't you re-inventing the wheel?   There already exists such
a list (Info-VAX) and it's gatewayed to the usenet comp.os.vms groupt.   I
think that if it's more overarching info you're looking for that you might
want to look there -- at least, for VMS related topics.   There are several
DECcentric usenet groups which cover DEC hardware and PDP focus as well --
I'm not aware of mailing list gateways in the latter case.

Allow new to explain. For one the list is not 'just' VMS or 'just' PDP or 'just' this or just that. It is intended ad a general discussion forum for all manner of DEC hardware, software and such. It's intention is to be a friendly and accessible community also, not too hardcore/full-on like a lot of the established ancient DEC groups. For sure they have their place and I've consulted comp.os.vms for information *about VMS* before now, but frivolous banter tends to be frowned upon, new people seem to be treated with passive disdain by some members, and often the people offering advice tend to not remember what it was like learning OSs like VMS, TOPS, RSX and the like from scratch, or working on unfamiliar hardware. For that reason I really love the HECnet community because their is a good mixc of people of all ability levels, we are generally easy going folks in a relaxed atmosphere. I wanted to try   and extend the community by giving us an area to discuss stuff that wasn't HECnet related.

I also wanted to gather knowledge in a Wiki that was searchable and reference-able but apparently being able to find the information we need easily spoils the fun? ;)

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo