[HECnet] digest mode

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Mon Dec 17 11:05:29 PST 2012

If we could agree to keep things more on topic and to put more thought
into
it before banging off a quick message to the list, I wonder would that
reduce
the need for a digest mode?

No.

Fair enough.

And it's far easier to implement digest than get users to behave.

If there is a problem with the way people are behaving, I think it is better
to try to encourage and reward better behaviour than to try to accomodate it.

Digest is less desirable if you are active on the list and can do it
often.   When there are high
volumes of traffic you only want to read, digest becomes more desirable.

Also fair enough.

However, if the list becomes a high volume discussion of anything and
everything, I will be unsubscribing and those that want that can continue on.

You can still get individual msgs if you want them. Why take the option
away from someone else?

I spent a bit of time composing my posting and I thought I carefully avoided
giving the impression that I wanted to take away any option from anyone. I'm
more interested in seeing why people want digest mode (as I said, I am having
difficulty in seeing the attraction it clearly has for some) and whether we
are trying to solve a problem that will still be there after a digest mode is
made available.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.