[HECnet] digest mode

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Dec 17 09:16:39 PST 2012

On 2012-12-17 18:05, Peter Coghlan wrote:

Do people really want digest mode here?

  Yes (for me, at least - I always have!).   And an archive of past messages
would be really nice...

I've never see the attraction of digest mode. People who are not on digest
reply to topics of interest immediately. People on digest reply hours or days
later when everyone else has lost interest. Sometimes they end up replying
with the subject of the digest instead of the subject of the posting they are
replying to. Topics become very disjointed.

That is sortof my opinion as well, which is why I asked.
Obviously different people have different usage patterns, so I don't object to it being perhaps more useful to others. But I wanted to check.
(And don't forget people who forget to trim their digest when replying, resulting in everyone getting the whole digest mail when they get a reply...)
And usually you also loose thread id's from message headers, meaning even correctly trimmed replies are not always gathered in the same thread as the rest of the messages.