[HECnet] DECnet over IP question...

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Dec 16 14:05:01 PST 2012

On 2012-12-16 22:57, Cory Smelosky wrote:

On 16 Dec 2012, at 16:50, Johnny Billquist <bqt at softjar.se> wrote:

Do anyone know if DECnet phase V can do DECnet over IP, and if that is compatible with - say - Multinet connections?

Or else, if anyone on this list is running a phase V node with area routing, who could act as a connection point.

	Johnny

Semi-related, but can Phase V interact with Phase IV at all?

Certainly. Phase V nodes can talk just fine with Phase IV. The major "headache" is that NCP is gone, and you have a totally new way of managing things, and a new system for node names. While it might be better, it's totally unrelated to how nodenames are managed in Phase IV, so that can be a headache.
I've seen one or two weird things in Phase V backward compatibility in the past, but for the most part, it works just fine.