[HECnet] HECnet, dynamic IP and multinet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Dec 11 03:21:01 PST 2012

On 2012-12-11 09:53, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

El 11/12/2012, a les 3:42, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> va escriure:

  Welcome!

      -Dave

On 12/10/2012 09:41 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:

Jordi has joined HECnet via Multinet Tunnels to GORVAX::.   Welcome
Jordi!

-Steve

Thanks a lot! :) I'm happy I will not lose the connectivity once my IP goes dynamic...

On the other hand, I'm thinking about writing a wrapper over Johnny's bridge program to support dynamic addresses. The program would build a bridge config file from its own list of hostnames and would launch the bridge using that config file. Then it would check the DNS translation periodically (each 5 minutes would be fine for a "hobbyist" network) and, in case it finds any change, it would make a new config, kill the bridge and start it up again with the new config.

FYI - for the bridge, if you have a DNS name in the config file, and the DNS entry is changed, just sending a SIGHUP to the bridge will force it to re-resolve the name. No need to stop and restart.

(A really stupid, simplistic solution in other words would be to just send a SIGHUP once an hour or so to the bridge. and it would be up most of the time, while still also handling if your IP address change.)