3B1s and "old school" UNIX, was Re: [HECnet] US Seller with some interesting stuff

Mark Abene phiber at phiber.com
Mon Dec 3 01:48:01 PST 2012

I used to use 3B1 and 7300 systems quite a bit.   There was a CUI/GUI
system called MGR, and they served quite well as UUCP mail-enabled
workstations.   Motorola 68k based.   However, everything from the 3B2
on up was based on the Western Electric 32000-series processors.   The
Regional Bell's original Operations and Support Systems were largely
PDP-11/45 and PDP-11/70 minis.   These were transitioned for the most
part to AT&T 3B20S ("Simplex" processor) servers towards the late
80's, the internal OSS applications these machines ran being designed
by Bellcore.   The RT version you're referring to is the AT&T 3B20D
("Duplex processor), which served as the processing core of the AT&T
5ESS (Electronic Switching System), at one time one of the two most
powerful digital switching systems in the telephony world.   The
original real-time Unix developed for this platform (by AT&T) was
called DMERT, for Duplex Multi Environment Real Time.   This ultimately
evolved into the 5E-2000 switch, with the OS evolving into AT&T UNIX
RTR (Real Time Reliable).   Not DECnet capable.   The standard
hard-wired networking method was AT&T Datakit VCS (Virtual Circuit
System).   Telenet X.25 hardware was also a common networking
interface.
By the way, I'm also from Queens.

-Mark