[HECnet] TOPS-20 DECnet

Joe Ferraro jferraro at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 13:32:01 PST 2012

Thanks for the responses...

There is no decnet connectivity to the TOPS 20 host...

The TOPS-20 host is presently available via IP - 74.143.35.91:1023. In any case, my knowledge of TOPS-20 is slowly growing ex nihilo ... I loaded the tapes from bitsaver.org and believe that I am running the correct monitor... (unfortunately, the docs that I've found don't always correspond to the version of software I've chosen to run).

I'm sure there may be a newer DECnet tape out there; however, the latest I could find (at the time) was v4, I believe... in any case, one of my biggest issues is hardware knowledge -- running `netgen` does not seemingly inquire about the [equivalent] NIC...

$netgen
TOPS-20 Network Configurator for DN20, Version 4A(11)

[Type START to begin configuration dialog]

NETGEN>start
Node name:   tx0
Node address:   20.3
?Not confirmed: ""
Node address:   2

Transmit password:   <blah>
What DTE port number is used for this DN20:   0
?Value is out of range: "0"
What DTE port number is used for this DN20:   1

The total number of DMC11s and DMR11s must not exceed 6
How many DMC11 lines are on this DN20:   1
DMC-0 Cost: 1

How many DMR11 lines are on this DN20:

How many KDPs are on this DN20:

[Configuration Saved On:   PS:<DECNET>TX0.CNF.1]
[Generating PS:<DECNET>NMLACC.MAC.1]   [OK]
[Generating PS:<DECNET>CETAB.MAC.1]   [OK]
[Generating PS:<DECNET>NETPAR.MAC.1]   [OK]

[Configuration complete]
  Type SAVE and FINISH after any additional changes
  Type EXIT to terminate NETGEN