[HECnet] TOPS-20 DECnet

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jan 11 03:04:56 PST 2012

On 2012-01-11 10.48, gerry77 at mail.com wrote:
On Mon, 9 Jan 2012 21:49:49 -0500, you wrote:

With all of the recent, invigorating HECnet discussion, I am curious if
anyone has a decent [approachable] resource for getting a TOPS-20 instance
on the [HEC] net. I have a non-panda instance up (ARPAnet), and have a
version of DECnet [apparently] installed, but no dice with HECnet
connectivity. Worse case I guess I may use a captive account of sorts to
gateway from WOPR:: to the 20x node via telnet.... but that just seems
wrong in principle...

Well, I've seen no answer on this topic from other members, so I'll try
myself. In truth I've no TOPS-20 DECnet experience, but I've it on TOPS-10.
BTW, I seem to remember that years ago there was a TOPS-20 host on HECnet.

.ncp tell sol sho exec

Node summary as of 11-JAN-12 12:00:09

Executor node = 59.10 (SOL)

    Identification = Systems Concepts SF CA USA - SC30M - DN-20 4.0
    State = On, Active links = 0

.

Unfortunately I don't have many suggestions on how you do it. You do need to use ethernet, so my bridge would be a potential solution, but you might also have a VMS box on the same ethernet segment, and let that one do your routing for you.

Unless I remember wrong, there is one or two files in the system which have all the configuration parameters needed. I could probably dig some stuff up, but I know there are way more competent people in this area around, so I'll try to refrain from giving half-baked advice...