[HECnet] Multinet circuit costs

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Thu Jan 5 07:58:05 PST 2012

The circuit costs here are set to 4 for LAN and 3 for tunnels.   The issue may be that if a node (at the end of the chain so to speak) has 2 tunnel links of the same cost and that the final destination costs the same I could see where DECnet *might* get confused.   Let's look at the following contrived example:

FRUGAL:: connects to LEGATO:: - cost of 3
FRUGAL:: connects to SG1::             - cost of 3

LEGATO:: connects to GORVAX:: - cost of 3
SG1::             connects to GORVAX:: - cost of 3

Fred, on node FRUGAL:: tries to copy a (large) file from GORVAX:: to FRUGAL:: *may* see some issues.   On the other hand if Fred chooses to favor SG1:: over LEGATO:: (cost wise) he should not see any problems:   Ex:

FRUGAL:: connects to LEGATO:: - cost of 3
FRUGAL:: connects to SG1:: - cost of 2

The route is guaranteed to be the same for the entire transaction.   It will be (using poor man's routing to demonstrate) FRUGAL::SG1::GORVAX:: at a cost of 5, not FRUGAL::LEGATO::GORVAX:: at a cost of 6.

-Steve