[HECnet] RSX11M 4.6 complete installation logs

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Tue Jul 24 11:11:28 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-24 11:46, MG wrote:
On 2012-07-24 03:50, Boyanich, Alastair wrote:

Nope. :-(
It's still owned, restricted and a silly situation. Just like the last
10 years...

Johnny

Nuts.

Indeed. Anyone have any really good contacts at HP?

That RSX is the property of HP, I didn't know.   I thought DEC
sold several of its non-/pre-VMS proprietary operating systems
to at least one company other than Compaq, or am I thinking of
RT and RSTS/E?

No, you are right in principle, but the situation is more complicated than that. And have been all the time.
When DEC sold their PDP-11 software to Mentec, they retained some controlling rights over it. Those clauses are still in effect, meaning that even though DEC is now HP, and Mentec (or what's left of it) sold their PDP-11 software on, HP now have a controlling clause for all this software. It is HP that needs to be convinced to release things before anything else can happen.