[HECnet] Multiple Area routers on one area?

Peter Lothberg roll at Stupi.SE
Tue Jul 24 01:05:16 PDT 2012

Is it feasible/advisable/possible to have 2 Area Routers on a DECnet
Phase IV network?

Yes.

Restriction, you need are-routers to talk to all area-routers in your
area thorug area-routers..

So you can not have non-area routers as transit between area routers.

If you have two area routers on the same LAN, router priority and/or
node-number will be used by the non-area routers to select wich one
they hand their outgoing traffic to.

The only reason I ask is that I'd like my emulated cluster system to be =
able to run Area 6 independently as all the nodes are area 6 nodes and =
it'd be neat to have area 6 working at places events like DEC Legacy.

Would it cause issues on HECNet having 2 Area 6 routers in different =
places also? I'm guessing not as they are still on the same DECnet =
network, same as if they are in the same room on the same LAN, but what =
do I know ;)

I have 4 area routers in area 59, US-east-coast, US-west-coast and two
in Sweden, works fine.

--P