[HECnet] decnet.org

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Wed Jul 11 15:43:19 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-11 16:36, Bob Armstrong wrote:
Doubly so that CON ONLINE (if I remember right) also hang.

    That's correct - the CON ONLINE ALL hangs on the generated system.   The
Baseline system works OK.

The baseline system is a bit simpler, in that it don't have as many devices generated in...

Maybe a misconfiguration of some sort...?

    Well, what?   Like you said, the M+ SYSGEN is pretty simple and almost all
the questions, even w/o autoconfigure, take the default answers.   Either
that, or there's something that's not supported by 4.3 (even though it says
that it is).

Looking at your other post, I'm looking suspiciously at your terminal lines...

You can't take the default on *all* questions, since some don't have ny defaults. The CSR and vector for the terminal lines, for example... :-)

    Actually I'd easily believe that it was a misconfiguration except for the
fact that ACF also hangs.   That says to me that there's something about this
configuration that either isn't supported or doesn't actually work with M+
v4.3.

ACF is a totally different story. ACF can hang for any number of reasons. You really need to make sure your hardware is correctly configured before you can expect ACF to work. ACF is probing all over the bus, and determines what type of device it is by what it has already detected. There is no easy way to detect the type of a device on a Unibus or Qbus. Thus, if you do not follow the rules in the manuals on what address to assign to devices in the floating address space, ACF will not work right for you, and might in fact think that your device is something completely different, and tries to program it accordingly.

CON ONLINE on the other hand uses the actual information you have provided, and just tries to talk to the expected device that you specified, at the expected address, which you also specified. If that fails, it would normally be because the device is not what you said.

    Or there's a bug in simh - that'd be ugly...

Yes. But I am hesitant to blame simh at this point.