[HECnet] decnet.org

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Wed Jul 11 01:47:26 PDT 2012

On the contrary.   Some of us nerds will be doing a "View Headers" on every
message just to see the circuitous route it took :)

Given this prospect, I thought I'd better set up a MAIL-11 channel in my PMDF
configuration and do some tests to see what the headers look like. While all
the expected rfc822 headers are there on an incoming message, MAIL-11 does
it's bit silently and secretly, leaving little trace of it's leg of the
journey. So, there's not very much there for header-nerds.

If anyone is interested in playing with receiving internet mail via MAIL-11,
despite the lack of exotic headers, let me know and I will add in rules for
the node(s) involved. Outgoing mails to the internet also work (from a VMS
node at least - I haven't tested with any other OSes). PMDF formats the
MAIL-11 From: header so that replying to incoming messages is straightforward.
Composing new outgoing messages is little more fiddly but it does work.

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.