[HECnet] decnet.org

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Tue Jul 10 21:34:47 PDT 2012

On 10.7.2012 23:22, Marc Chametzky wrote:

One thought occurred to me today; There used to be the Mailbus and
Message Router products running on VMS. They could be used to route
messages between different mail systems. They were used at DEC until
about late 90's. The addresses used the format user.name@*.mts.dec.com.
Unfortunately I don't remember much of them anymore, but just thought
that they could be used as a message gateway between HECnet and the
Internet. If I remember correctly, the VMS Hobbyist licenses included
those.
If someone has recent experience of those, he could possibly tell more
exact details about the feasibility.
In my mind, using PMDF would be a better choice for SMTP<->DECnet
connectivity. I believe that it's available from Process Software
through their hobbyist program.

Of course, I'm one of the former PMDF developers, so I'm biased. :-)

--Marc

.

I understand well your point. :)
You definitely know better because of your background. I know PMDF even less than MR & MB-400.

For me any choice which works well is fine. Of course someone have to take the responsibility to administer the gateway system.
I just happen to have most of the VMS SPL:s and the documentation. I can also dedicate a VAX or Alpha for the purpose. If needed, I could also take care of the adminstration after I've recalled the knowledge about MR & MB-400.

Let the jury make their verdict. :)

Kari