[HECnet] decnet.org

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Tue Jul 10 21:03:36 PDT 2012

X.400? Well that's kinda amusing as of itself, no?

Sampsa

On 10 Jul 2012, at 22:59, Dennis Boone wrote:

One thought occurred to me today; There used to be the Mailbus and
Message Router products running on VMS. They could be used to route
messages between different mail systems. They were used at DEC until
about late 90's. The addresses used the format user.name@*.mts.dec.com.
Unfortunately I don't remember much of them anymore, but just thought
that they could be used as a message gateway between HECnet and the
Internet. If I remember correctly, the VMS Hobbyist licenses included
those.

The packages are in at least the June '04 SPL:

      MAILbus 400                     2.0C   04RAA SSB                 4     [MTAC020]
      Application Program
      Interface for
      OpenVMS VAX

      MAILbus 400 Message     3.0     04QAA SSB                 4     [MTA030]
      Transfer Agent for
      OpenVMS VAX

      MAILbus 400 Message     1.2C   342AA SSB                 4     [XMRC012]
      Router Gateway for
      OpenVMS

and my PAKs from the hobbyist program do include these.

De