[HECnet] Re: SYSGEN memories

Mark Benson md.benson at gmail.com
Sun Jul 8 22:21:55 PDT 2012

On 8 Jul 2012, at 22:00, Dave McGuire wrote:

Oh MAN!   A manual beside you is REQUIRED! ;)

I first did an 11M v4.1 SYSGEN when I was about 17.   I was fortunate
to have a friend at work who gave me lots of advice, but as he was at
work and my 11/34 was at home, the "question/answer latency" was very
high!   It took me a few nights and a few tries to get it right, but in
the end those scripts were very well-written and everything worked out fine.

I've done a few RSX-11M+ 4.2 SYSGENs in the last year on SimH. I am pretty good at them now, I can almost roll one for my default PDP-11 setup (11/73 with dual RD54s), I can *almost* do it from memory.

I found this invaluable though: http://9track.net/pdp11/rsx4_sysgen
And for doing the accompanying DECnet NETGEN: http://9track.net/pdp11/decnet4_netgen

Like Dave I had to redo it a   few times over the first time to get it right but once you get it wright it's quite satisfying (even in an emulator).

My big issue is *redoing* SYSGENs, I can't work out how to do a subsequent re-SYSGEN post-original-SYSGEN in 11M+ to change the a hardware config and compiled drivers etc. It doesn't seem to want to do an auto-config. Back to the endless reams of PDF files on my Kindle I suppose :D

--

Mark Benson

http://DECtec.info
Twitter: @DECtecInfo