[HECnet] DECnet MAIL

Igor Mirvaleev wwweiss at yandex.ru
Fri Jul 6 07:07:50 PDT 2012

Hello!

Sorry for stupid question, but i can't understand why i get the "error activating transport SMTP" message when i try to send a mail to some host in HECnet,
using DECnet MAIL utility and address in HOST::USER format?
I have MultiNet installed, but i planned to use it only as gateway to HECnet communication, and don't want to use SMTP server on this machine. SMTP server not now disabled .
I 've read that DECnet MAIL uses Mail-11 protocol, so why i get the error messages about SMTP?

Thanks,
Igor

P.S. OS - OpenVMS 8.4, DECnet phase IV, Multinet 5.4. Communication by MAIL between users on same host works good.