[HECnet] pdp-11/83-84

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jul 6 00:35:02 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-05 23:43, Boyanich, Alastair wrote:

G'day Johnny,

Okay, then "someone on the internet is wrong" (tm) .. will accept your
version of it. :)

The internet is wrong most of the time, if you just start digging into enough details. :-)

Was going off this site:
http://www.cpu-galaxy.at/Boards/Boards_CPU/Boards_CPU.htm   ..and a
couple of others that've probably sourced it.

Yep, the information there is wrong. No CIS for the J11. The only CPUs that ever got the CIS was the F11 and the 11/44.
(Now I'm sure someone is going to point out the 11/74 CIS option, but it was never sold, even though I've heard that at least one prototype was done.)

Okay, I'll check the 23Plus when I get home. Might get lucky there and
be able to have a play with it there. On topic, seems to work in the
quick test (sadly had work to do at home) I did last night which was a
couple of memory fills so that's promising.

Right. So no CIS for 83/94, but there is for 23Plus.

Right.

Thanks for the straightening out :)

No problem.

Oh, and I saw some additional discussions about the CIS option for the F11. Unless I remember wrong, and understood things wrong, it is not just a simple PROM. It's a coprocessor, which have logic in addition to whatever microcode the coprocessor need.
So no way of just duplicating a PROM to get a CIS.

	Johnny

Al.