[HECnet] pdp-11/83-84

Boyanich, Alastair Alastair.Boyanich at au.fujitsu.com
Thu Jul 5 22:48:36 PDT 2012

G'day Dave,

  Nice!

Thanks, Yeah   I was more than a bit hot for it also. Looks like it came
out of Ford Aerospace and Comms Corp (P.S. FAAC Best acronym next to our
old one of FACOM which was changed when someone heard a .jp accent
saying "FAKKUM" to one of the clients *G*). No clue how it ended up in
Adelaide unless they were doing defence contracting.

  Huh?   That's a J-11 based board, and I'm pretty sure the CIS option
for the J-11, while planned, was never actually shipped.   It would
have
been two additional chip carriers on the bottom side of the big white
J11 multi-carrier chip.

  The only ROMs on a KDJ11-Bx board contain the boot/diag code, not
microcode, and conversely, the only microcode on a KDJ11-Bx (or any
J11-based board for that matter) is in the microcode ROM, which is a
part of the "control" chip, which is one the two chips on the J11
multi-chip carrier itself.   No microaddress lines or any other
internal
state machine stuff is brought out to the pins of a J11.

  (sorry!)

  You CAN, however, get a CIS option (if you can find it!) for your
11/23!   I too would love to mess with CIS a bit; I've never done so.
have two CIS option board sets for my 11/44s but have not yet
installed
them.

Nice! (tm) .. got a photo's of the 11/44 option? Really wondering about
the /23Plus. If the option for it is just PROM's that should be pretty
easy to reproduce.

Al.