[HECnet] pdp-11/83-84

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Thu Jul 5 08:45:29 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-05 08:22, Boyanich, Alastair wrote:

G'day $ALL.

Quick question. I've just snaffled an M8190-AE with what I think is the
21-21853-06 FPU as an upgrade for either the 11/70 or 11/23Plus at home.
I've seen reference to CIS microcode for these boards about the place
and am extremely keen to have a go at it with macro. I'm not "actually"
sure if it has it in the PROMS, but being handy with a EPROM programmer
hopefully I can find it. Does anyone have any reading material on how to
figure out if the CIS microcode is installed ?

This CIS option is not a PROM, even though it might sound like that.
It's more like a co-processor.

If the CIS options is installed, you can easily see that, physically, by
the large chips next to the CPU. If it's not there, you have some empty
sockets...

Oh! And Darn! I should have checked proper. The M8190 is indeed the 11/83 and 11/84 CPUs. That's a J11 CPU. There is *no* CIS for this CPU.
I thought you were talking about the 11/23+ and 11/24 in my first reply.