[HECnet] New problem: Computer history

Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 3 04:02:51 PDT 2012

Hello!
Would anyone on the list recall when the first generation Vaxes were off and
running? For example I know that in the time frame when "Cuckoo's Egg"
happened we were right in the middle of the model series that DEC happened
to be building. But that the BSD release that ran on those was from the 4
series.

That Doctor Who book I mentioned has them running roughshod through the
early Internet, and largely colliding with UNIX on PDP11s, (I believe they
were supposed to be PDP11s, but they were not described, or named.) although
the author stuck an Eclipse in someone's home also running the same.
Interestingly enough I do know that UNIX came to DG rather late in life,
much later then the book took place. And even after the Eclipse that's
described there was first turned on.

----
Gregg C Levine
gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com