[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Tue Jul 3 01:30:22 PDT 2012

On 07/02/2012 08:23 PM, Gregg Levine wrote:
Who was your "sidekick"? I can't recall his name, but he's the one
across from you on the right of the exhibit space who ran the Straight
8 system and its relatives.

  Oh, that was Dave Gesswein.   His exhibit area was simply across the
aisle from mine.   His Straight-8 was awesome.

It was time to move five years ago, but there are reasons... and more of them.

  :-(

As for operating systems, can you, in your spare time present me a
list of them, off list?

  Sure.

Some time ago, John Wilson, confirmed for me that his E11 systems can
be configured to accept modules that would look to the PDP-11 OS
running as if it were talking to something specialized, and not
originally part of the regular PDP-11 series of modules. (Of course
that's my phrasing and how I heard or read about.) That's how I would
start, but I'm not sure if his program could be told to work as if it
were a J11 setup or any of the others.

  Hmm.

I believe it might be possible to convince (or confuse) E11 that it is
actually one of those, and running something along the lines of the
appropriate R* OS from DEC,

  That might be possible.   That might also be possible with simh, given
that the source code is available and it compiles on most anything.