[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Steve Davidson jeep at scshome.net
Mon Jul 2 17:26:29 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE
[mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE] On Behalf Of Bob Armstrong
Sent: Monday, July 02, 2012 12:10
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: RE: [HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

The PRO was for later VAXen. 8800-range, I think.

  That must be where I saw it, because I remember a VAX with
what was clearly a PRO attached to it.   We used to joke that
it was the only way DEC could sell the PROs :-)

The 86x0 uses a T11, and runs RT-11.

  Was it like a FALCON/KXT11 board based thing, or some
custom T11 board?
How (where) did they get RT11 for it?   The T11 had a few
oddities (e.g. no bus timeout traps) and AFAIK RT11 was never
supported on T11 systems.   I've heard that there was an
unofficial, hacked up, copy of some RT11 release that would
work but I never saw a copy.

The 86x0 does in fact run a real version of RT-11.   The disk sub-system
was a RL0x (can't remember if it was 1 or 2).   It had its own set of
quirks - to say the least!   The sources have macros to deal with the
T-11 differences.   They were in the middle of the changes to RT-11 just
as I joined the group.   One of the guys spent quite a bit of time in
Marlboro, MA trying to get the sub-system to deal with the RL0x..   It
was a beast! :-)

  I've actually got a FALCON board, so it's more than just an
academic interest.

Bob