[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jul 2 16:51:54 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-02 16:58, Bob Armstrong wrote:
  Was that the RTOS used with the T-11 (the first single-chip PDP-11?)
  I seem to remember that it was used as the RTOS in the LA-120 printer.

    Did the LA120 have a T11 in it?   Wow - makes me want to go take mine apart
and look :-)

I didn't think it did, but I'm not entirely sure...
The VT240 have a T11 in it. As do the DEUNA. And FE for some VAXen.

    It's good that you brought this up, because I was going to ask about
examples of devices that used embedded PDP-11s, probably mostly DEC made but
not always.

    For example, the RFxx drives (all of 'em, I think) used a T11 and I'm
pretty sure ran some variant of RSX-11S.

Cool.

    The RQDXn controllers also used a T11, but I have no idea what firmware
was inside them.

I don't have an idea either. Didn't even know it was a T11 on them.

    The HSC controllers had PDP-11s in them, didn't they?   I don't remember
which model but I bet the OS was another RSX derivative.

Nope. RT-11 derivate. F11 or J11, I think. Depending on model.

    Some of the bigger DECserver terminal servers were PDP-11 based (not T11,
but an 11/53 for example).   Don't know if the little ones (e.g.
DECserver-100, 200, etc) were T11 or 68K based.   Actually if we go down that
path there were a number of PDP-11 and PDP-8 based front ends for the -10
that were essentially "terminal servers" (although we didn't call them as
such in those days) - the DC68/680I, DN20, etc.   I actually worked on a
couple of those, and they had "ad hoc" software that didn't use any official
OS.

The DECserver with a PDP-11 was the -500, I think.
DN20 and similar stuff was essentially an 11/34, I think. They were running some RSX-derivate, I think, just like the -20 FE.