[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Mon Jul 2 14:39:10 PDT 2012

On Jul 1, 2012, at 9:02 PM, Steve Davidson wrote:
IAS-11 was based on RSX-11D.

I worked on that for my first job at DEC, supporting Typeset-11, which was a newspaper typesetting and advertisement management system.   It was originally implemented as a turnkey product on top of RSX-11D, then ported to IAS.   There was also a Typeset-8, which was created by the group right next to it and used some of the same terminals, but whether anything else carried over I don't know.

The relationship between those two was very obvious, especially since we turned off the timesharing piece and kept only the RSX compatible real time piece of IAS.

Curiously enough, it seems (I never got very close to it) that RSX-11M (and M+) were completely unrelated to -D apart from having a mostly common API (as we didn't call it yet).   RSX-11D very clearly went back directly to RSX-15 -- I once saw a listing of RSX-15 lying around because it was supported very close to where I worked, and a glance at the first few pages showed lots of data structures identical in name, purpose, and layout to what the RSX-11D kernel used.

	paul