[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Mon Jul 2 02:33:53 PDT 2012

On 2012-07-02 03:17, Gregg Levine wrote:
On Sun, Jul 1, 2012 at 9:10 PM, Bob Armstrong <bob at jfcl.com> wrote:
Dave McGuire wrote
  PDP-8: there's a DECnet implementation for OS/8.

  Do you actually have such a thing?   There was a partial implementation for
RTS/8 that was, AFAIK, never released.   I have some sources for it, but it's
unfinished.

Bob

Hello!
About all I found was those sources, on the iBib site. And for the
other OS, no hits so far on Google.

Steve interesting story, and yes I'm not asking about those three
letter agencies.

Let me put it to all of you this way. In the book "Cuckoo's Egg" as
related by Cliff Stoll, his(?) VAXes were networked, via Ethernet all
over the campus, (either running BSD or VMS), but they were connected
to the Internet via leased lines.

And in a Doctor Who book, who's reasonably accurate on the DEC based
side of things, and lousy on the desktop side, there are PDP-11s and
possibly a few early Vaxes. and even an Eclipse.

What I am curious about is how the PDP-11s talked to DEC Net based systems.

And which ones of the R* operating systems could be confused into
doing that, and in what ways.

Well, considering the fact that DECnet was born on the PDP-11, the question should perhaps be rephrased as how non-PDP11 systems managed to talk on DECnet. :-)

If the question is more on a practical note of how connections were done, I think the original was over serial lines, but I might be wrong. Multidrop as well as some high speed links were available in Phase III, but ethernet only became an option with DECnet phase IV.

Not sure about the time frame for packet switched interfaces. They certainly existed in Phase IV, but I don't know if they were available already in phase III.

The RTS-8 DECNET/8, which was mentioned earlier, talks DECNET over a serial line, using DDCMP.