[HECnet] This is probably been asked already but....

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jul 2 00:08:30 PDT 2012

On 07/01/2012 07:03 PM, Johnny Billquist wrote:
Let's start with just the operating systems. I'm thinking of trying to
get something running via SIMH soon, but I can't promise anything
specific.

    That really opens it up. ;)   Simh emulates several platforms for which
there are DECnet implementations:

    PDP-8: there's a DECnet implementation for OS/8.
    PDP-10: TOPS-10, TOPS-20
    PDP-11: RSTS/E, RSX-11/M/M+
    VAX: VMS, Ultrix

The PDP-8 DECnet is actually for RTS-8, and not OS/8. However, it's also
only PHASE II, so I think we could rule that one out.

  Oops!   My mistake, thank you for the correction.   I thought it was for
OS/8.   I consider myself to be a PDP-8 aficionado, but I've never seen
the DECnet implementation

For PDP-11, I think that there was also some kind of DECnet for RT-11.
And you have IAS, as well as (probably) RSX-11D.

  I don't think there was a DECnet for RT-11, but I could be wrong.
Isn't IAS basically a chopped-down RSX?

Also, I wonder if VAXELN also had DECnet?

  I'd imagine so, but I'm not certain.   I'd guess yes because the
firmware for some of DEC's X terminals is based on VAXELN, and early X
implementations supported X over DECnet.

And isn't there some sort of Alpha in simh as well nowadays?

  Barely, but yes.   It's not really far along enough to be useful yet.