[HECnet] decnet.org

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Tue Jun 26 18:46:43 PDT 2012

On 26.6.2012 18:16, Bob Armstrong wrote:
    I own the domain    decnet.org        I have for several years, but I
haven   t really done anything with it.     Is there any interest in using
it for HECnet somehow?     We could, for example, give all the machines
that have TCP/IP connectivity    name.decnet.org    aliases.   Or we could
set up mail forwarding for somebody at decnet.org
<mailto:somebody at decnet.org>.   Or we could have a web page at
www.decnet.org <http://www.decnet.org>.   Or maybe somebody can think of
something else.       I   m also willing to transfer the name if somebody can
promise to put it to good use.   I don   t want any money for it, but I
would like to see it get used.

Bob

Great idea!
Why not use it for connectivity to the outside world from HECnet? There could be a gateway which translates the names and - if needed - DECnet to TCP/IP and vice versa. DEC used to have an alias domain (enet.dec.com) for the internal machines so that they could connect to hosts outside the internal network.

Kari