[HECnet] "Poor mans routing" and the Italian Hobbyist DECNET

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Sat Jun 30 09:09:07 PDT 2012

On 30.6.2012 5:39, Brian Hechinger wrote:
On 6/29/2012 7:39 PM, Peter Coghlan wrote:
The Cisco DECnet configuration guide can be found at:
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/decnet/configuration/guide/configuring_decnet.pdf

Thanks. I've downloaded it and had a look through it.

Let's assume the most usual conflict is at hand, where two different
ogranisations use area 1, but neither the networks nor the areas can be
merged, but the organisations need to communicate using DECnet.
Organisation A applies in the router the DECnet map for Organisation B
where the B's real area 1 is chosen to have a virtual area of 24 (which
is not used in either networks). Then B assignes a virtual area of 25 to
the A's real area 1. Then they configure their routers to use DECnet map
and the result looks like:

A                       Cisco ATG                               B

1.1 ----------------->       24.1 --------------------------------> 1.1
1.2 ----------------->   24.2 --------------------------------> 1.2
1.3 ----------------->   24.3 --------------------------------> 1.3
1.4 ----------------->   24.4 --------------------------------> 1.4

And in the opposite direction it looks like:

1.1 <------------------       25.1 <-------------------------------- 1.1
1.2 <------------------ 25.2 <-------------------------------- 1.2
1.3 <------------------ 25.3 <-------------------------------- 1.3
1.4 <------------------ 25.4 <-------------------------------- 1.4

If there aren't any other conflicting areas, all other areas can be
routed normally.

That seems straightforward enough.

I could set up a test with you.

Thanks. However...

The commands available seem to suggest an individual mapping is
required for
every host. Is it also possible to map a whole area with a single
mapping?

It didn't use to be, but the manual says it should be possible on some
release 12's but not all.

My poor old IGS has version 10.0(6) so it doesn't appear I would be
able to map
whole areas. The manual seems to say that no communication is possible
between
the two networks unless mapping entries exist for each of the hosts
that want
to communicate. This suggests I would need a mapping entry for every
host on
HECnet and every host on the other network. I think that would
probably be
too difficult to maintain and might not even fit in the NVRAM.

Maybe someone with a later version of IOS might like to try?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.

I could definitely give this a go. I'm running latest 12.4 on my 1841.

-brian

.

Please check your IOS if the Decnet map command is still included. Some Cisco document claimed that it has been removed from the latest versions.

Regards,

Kari