[HECnet] "Poor mans routing" and the Italian Hobbyist DECNET

Peter Coghlan HECNET at beyondthepale.ie
Fri Jun 29 10:31:40 PDT 2012

Kari wrote:

On 28.6.2012 23:28, Rok Vidmar wrote:
I don't think that will work.

      How about a bridge translating HECnet's area 1 to an
  area unused in Italian net and translating Italian area 1
  to an unused area in HECnet?
  --
  Regards, Rok

.

That's exactly what an ATG (Address Translation Gateway) does. Although
I haven't used it over TCP/IP (Internet in this case). Maybe it would
work if it is configured in either end of a GRE tunnel. Could be worth
testing.

I can't find my Cisco manual but I've gone looking for suitable configuration
commands on my router and I found:

decnet map N.H <0-3> N.H                             Establish an ATG address mapping

The first N.H is described as "Local virtual DECnet address"
The number between 0 and 3 is the "Remote ATG network number"
The second N.H is described as "Remote real DECnet address"

I also find that it is possible to apply:

decnet <0-3>                       ATG network number

to each interface and it can also be applied globally. Presumably my current
decnet configuration defaults everything to being in ATG network number 0.

Can you describe how this can be used to map addresses between conflicting
areas?

Alternatively, if someone on the Italian network or a test network isolated
from hecnet is willing to set up another tunnel to me, I am willing to have a
go and see if I can get it to work.

The commands available seem to suggest an individual mapping is required for
every host. Is it also possible to map a whole area with a single mapping?

Regards,
Peter Coghlan.