[HECnet] "Poor mans routing" and the Italian Hobbyist DECNET

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jun 29 02:05:30 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-28 22:28, Rok Vidmar wrote:
I don't think that will work.

      How about a bridge translating HECnet's area 1 to an
  area unused in Italian net and translating Italian area 1
  to an unused area in HECnet?

Hmm. Problem is that node numbers travel around in so many places in packets that it will be rather difficult to get them all. You have the MAC addresses, but also routing vectors for both level one and level 2, and in addition there are probably other places where node numbers occur in different protocols. They definitely occur in several places in the NICE protocol.
If someone wants to try to do this, I'll happily cheer him on, but I fear it will never work correctly...