[HECnet] "Poor mans routing" and the Italian Hobbyist DECNET

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 29 00:00:54 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Kari Uusim  ki
Sent: 28 June 2012 22:01
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: Re: [HECnet] "Poor mans routing" and the Italian Hobbyist DECNET

On 28.6.2012 23:28, Rok Vidmar wrote:
I don't think that will work.

      How about a bridge translating HECnet's area 1 to an
  area unused in Italian net and translating Italian area 1
  to an unused area in HECnet?
  --
  Regards, Rok

.

That's exactly what an ATG (Address Translation Gateway) does. Although I
haven't used it over TCP/IP (Internet in this case). Maybe it would work
if it
is configured in either end of a GRE tunnel. Could be worth testing.

Kari

I have started a bit of work to create a user mode DECnet router and I am
sure that this functionality could be added at some point. I will certainly
consider it as I progress. But progress is not going to be quick.

Regards

Rob