[HECnet] Psilo status?

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Sun Jun 24 11:45:42 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-23 00:25, Peter Coghlan wrote:
Peter is this readable?
Hans

Sorry to be jumping into this late but I've been away.

I am confused as to the source of the problem.

I read the hecnet list using VMS Mail and I therefore get to see all the
headers in their gorey detail. I've never seen any mail from the list arrive
with base64 encoding.

I've had a quick look through the headers for all the hecnet mail for the
last few days. I find some mails have Content-transfer-encoding: 7BIT and others
have Content-transfer-encoding: 8BIT (including some that are not from Hans).
Just one mail (the HTML section of a mail from Jordi Guillaumes i Pons)
had Content-transfer-encoding: quoted-printable and none at all
had Content-transfer-encoding: base64. In particular, the ones from Hans do not
arrive here with Content-transfer-encoding: base64

I can't see anything special about the mails from Hans that would be causing
those and only those to result in difficulties on a 7bit only system.

Perhaps a mail transfer agent processing mail for the system experiencing the
problem is making incorrect assumptions about some of the mails going through
it and somewhat arbitrarily deciding to convert some of them to base64?

(I do see some headers such as X-Spam-Status: containing references to base64
but this should have no bearing on how the mail is processed.)

No. Some mails from Hans was encoded in Base64. If you didn't see that, then there is something going on at your side to hide it.
But I think Hans solved this.