RSTS on a Pro, was Re: [HECnet] DECnet User Mode Router - Encapsulation Formats

Wolfgang Eichberger oe5ewl at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 10:53:12 PDT 2012

I would greatly appreciate RSTS for my Pro380 too if you would like to share it....

For myself P/OS was never my thing... RSTS would be much nicer on this box...

Regards,
  Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Eichberger - OE5EWL
Operating System Collector

Ahnenforschung / Genealogy: A(E)ichberger, B(P)ruckmayr Raum Leonding/Alkoven/Eferding; Schmeisser Raum Attergau

2012/6/23 Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com>
On 06/23/2012 04:43 PM, Paul_Koning at Dell.com wrote:
>> Urr?   Doesn't the CNA use an Am7990 "Lance" chip?   As I recall
>> that isn't too bad to program.   I must be misremembering what chip
>> it uses..?
>
> Intel 82586, which has the worst programming interface in the history
> of Ethernet.   It uses a single linked list, which is accessed both by
> the driver and by the chip, without interlocking.   Race conditions
> everywhere...

  Ohhhhhhhhh, that one!   I remember that chip.   That was an "ie"
(Intel Ethernet) in Sun parlance.   The "le" (Lance Ethernet) found on
some machines was far preferable.   I had to write a driver for an Am7990
for an embedded application a long time ago; I remember that wasn't too
bad.   I've never really looked at the 82586 at the programming level; I
just remembered not to try to put too much traffic through them when
building networks of Sun machines. :)

  There's Linux support for it, for which source code is readily
available, and I have some earlier Solaris source code which will have
some code.   Maybe pick through that for some tricks.   But man that
sounds dangerous, no access clash protection...ugh.

>> Umm...are you willing to share that stuff? =)   I run RSTS 10.1 on
>> many of my PDP-11s; I'd LOVE to run it on my Pro-350!
>
> Sure, if I can figure out a way to do it reasonably cleanly.

  That would be great...Thank you!