[HECnet] DECnet User Mode Router - Encapsulation Formats

Rob Jarratt robert.jarratt at ntlworld.com
Fri Jun 22 21:29:27 PDT 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Rob Jarratt
Sent: 22 June 2012 20:27
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE
Subject: RE: [HECnet] DECnet User Mode Router - Encapsulation Formats

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-hecnet at Update.UU.SE [mailto:owner-
hecnet at Update.UU.SE]
On Behalf Of Dave McGuire
Sent: 22 June 2012 19:34
To: hecnet at Update.UU.SE

On 06/22/2012 02:31 PM, Rob Jarratt wrote:
I am making a little progress on a user mode DECnet router that will
run on Raspberry Pi and on Windows. There is still a long way to go,
but I want to get the basic design right in terms on the network
interfacing.
Can someone tell me how Cisco and Multinet encapsulate DECnet
packets sent over the internet?

  Ciscos can encapsulate DECnet within either GRE or L2TP.

I hope GRE and L2TP aren't too complex. It *looks* like GRE can be
transported over UDP. L2TP looks a bit more complex, but I have skimmed
the Wikipedia page for all of 15 seconds so I may have missed something.

Regards

Rob

Sorry, just realised that is silly, if I am correct GRE is another protocol
type at the same level as UDP. I was confusing IP with UDP!

Regards

Rob