[HECnet] [Simh] Pi VAX Cluster

Gregg Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 01:35:07 PDT 2012

On Sun, Jun 17, 2012 at 3:46 PM, Dave McGuire <mcguire at neurotica.com> wrote:
On 06/16/2012 05:21 PM, hvlems at zonnet.nl wrote:
My Multia runs VMS. With 128 MB and a 2.5" disk it runs for two hours
and after that it   crashes. Yes it runs too hot. The pedestal broke
some time ago and I"d rather not operate it horizontally. Initially
the system just had 40 MB and I wouldn't recommend that for VMS. My
Alpha Server 300 runs at the same clock speed and that system is a
lot faster. Off hand I can't recall whether the systems have the same
cpu and board logic.

  Ahh, I know those machines well; I ran three or four of them here for
a long time, as general "utility" servers.   One was my mail server, one
was my web server, one ran DNS and other network infrastructure stuff.
They were great machines.   I just gave the stack of them (but retained
one =)) to a friend at VCF-East last month.

  Good little machines, and reasonably power-efficient and compact while
still having enough PCI slots to do useful things.

  They are based on the 21064A; considerably faster than the 21066 at
the same clock speed.   I don't recall what chipset is wrapped around it.
(in either case)

Hello!
And I'm darned glad it wasn't me..... Dave did you take those two
things the pair who handled the buy&sell process at that event were
using as foot rests? If so can you confirm that they work?

Still working on what to launch now that I know that a name created
via dynamic DNS is acceptable.....
-----
Gregg C Levine gregg.drwho8 at gmail.com