[HECnet] [Simh] Pi VAX Cluster

Kari Uusim ki uusimaki at exdecfinland.org
Sat Jun 16 16:53:32 PDT 2012

Pi seems to be very interesting. I have to order one as well.

Speaking about the Multia; I've been playing with my Multias (166 & 233MHz) and found out that the rumors about it having thermal problems is true, but only when there is an internal disk drive. When using external disks, they haven't been overheating even if running Windows NT 4 for several hours. I think the development team was too ambitious when they placed a 3,5" drive inside the already crowded case. A 2,5" disk might produce a little less heat, but it seems to be too much anyway.

I'll do more testing soon like running VMS, Digital Unix, using add-in PCI boards, etc. A few years ago I installed and booted VMS and DigitalUnix. So both can be run on the Multia even with DECwindows.

If running the Multia without the (vertical) stand might cause more thermal load inside the case. Haven't tried that so far, but that's worth testing as well.

If anyone is interested, I can send him more information.

Kari