[HECnet] Introducing myself... and my little network

Jordi Guillaumes i Pons jg at jordi.guillaumes.name
Fri Jun 8 20:46:26 PDT 2012

Al 08/06/12 08:22, En/na Peter Lothberg ha escrit:
I've got also some emulated PDP10 which I've not networked (yet). I'm
having trouble plugging into DECNET a TOPS20/Panda machine... If someone
could point me to any docs I would appreciate it a lot

Does Ethernet-Multicast get set up correclty on your host?
Well, after struggling all day with those   machines, I've got both the TOPS20 and TOPS10 KHL10 systems visibles from DECNET. So those machines are now in HECnet as nodes 6.78 (BITXT2) and 6.80 (BITXT1). Don't ever try to find logic in my node number assignement. It used to be rational, but right now is a mess... :)

To cut the story short, I run the KLH10s inside a virtualbox VM instead of running them in bare metal. Why? Two reasons: for some reason the dte interface gets wedged when I run it on iron, and second, that's the way I can assign a dedicated ethernet adapter for each instance.

The problem was that KLH10 failed to set up the interfaces to promiscuous mode, and failed also to change the hardware address. I "fixed" it doing it before firing the emulator, using ifconfig. Now both machines can set up DECNET and it seems to work.

Things to be fixed, or learnt yet:

1) Defining the permanent node database for both TOPS10 and TOPS20. NCP rejects the DEFINE NODE commands. I guess there is some sort of utility like the one in RSX (CFE) to define the "permanent" node list, but I've not been able to find that one. There is a NIPGEN in TOPS-10 to build a CMD file with the SET NODE commands, but no NIPGEN in TOPS-20 that I've been able to find...

2) LAT. LAT works fine in TOPS-20. In TOPS-10 LCP tells me LAT is active, but it does not work (does not even announce itself). How do I enable LAT in TOPS-10?

3) And, spealking of LAT... How do I change the service identification in TOPS-20? I mean, how do I change it PERMANENTLY? I guess I have to put it in some sort of auto-executing file. SYSTEM.CMD? Something in 7-1-CONFIG.CMD? Again, any pointer to docs would be very appreciated. I don't want to bug you with the thousands of questions I've got :)

4) A few minutes after startup of TOPS-10. I get the following message at the console:

CCPOEF Output error on DSKB:SER001.EXE[10,1], status=40017

It does not seem to have any advert effect, but I'd like to know what's wrong. I've not seen such a message in my KS-based TOPS-10 running under SIMH.

Now, I've got to install in the KLH10 TOPS-10 all the stuff I've got... :) That will keep me busy for a while.