[HECnet] Introducing myself... and my little network

Johnny Billquist bqt at softjar.se
Fri Jun 8 08:09:30 PDT 2012

On 2012-06-08 09:04, Dave McGuire wrote:
On 06/08/2012 07:48 AM, Peter Lothberg wrote:
I will set it aside if I find it, and make sure to image it.

Image all your TK50's with distribution stuff on drop Al K a copy.

    I definitely will, if I can keep a drive working long enough.   I have
probably fifteen TK50 drives here...most of which are dead.   Although it
was the forerunner of the rather marvelous DLT, the first generation
really was a crappy design. :-(

The most common problem with the TK50 is that the tape pickup gets off the holding arm. Easy to fix if you are comfortable with a screw driver.
I've had one or two TK50 go bad in other ways, but in my experience it's pretty uncommon for them to really break.
It's almost always that pickup. Let me know if you need help understanding that.