[HECnet] Introducing myself... and my little network

Sampsa Laine sampsa at mac.com
Thu Jun 7 11:49:45 PDT 2012

Speaking of old software, does anybody happen to have WordPerfect for VMS lying around?

Would love to play with that..

Sampsa

On 7 Jun 2012, at 11:48, Jordi Guillaumes i Pons wrote:

Al 07/06/12 12:11, En/na hvlems at zonnet.nl ha escrit:
Jordi,
You wrote that the NIC on the 4000-90 was broken. Did you try an external transceiver on the AUI connector (there's a switch on the back).
An Alllied Telesys or DEC transceiver might solve the issue. The logic that drives the BNC connector is on a separate module IIRC.

I didn't. Actually, I thought you needed a thickwire segment to use a transceiver and a drop cable. I should have researched it better. Any idea of the DEC name for that thinwire transceiver? (Or a compabtible one). Anyways, I think I canibalized that machine a little bit, so I'm not sure what is actually inside of the inclosure. It looks like a nice summer vacation project :)

If you need software kits for the VAX, post your needs. If I have the kit(s) I'll burn them on a CD. Hans

Oh, thanks. As I said, I've plenty of "modern" stuff, but I miss some of the older software I used back in those days (pre-5.0), a (call it nostalgia) I'm quite trying to reproduce that first environment I worked on. Right now, I miss:

- FMS
- TDMS
- VAX BASIC
- LSE

That's pretty all. I also used AI1 (the dreaded office package) but I'm not sure I'll want to fight that monster again ;). No need to burn a CD, we could arrange the transfer by network (HECnet or regular internet). I understand the use of that stuff is covered by the hobbyist license (not sure about TDMS though), so we would not do anything out of the law.